According to the HostelBloggers.com website, the top 3 Mardi Gras vacation spots are:
1. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2. New Orleans, Louisiana USA
3. Venice Italy for their Carnival!
Here is something I didn't know:
Five Lesser Known Mardi Gras Celebrations
Aside from ‘The Big Three’, there are actually many other Mardi Gras carnivals held around the world, including
1) Nice Carnival in France
2) Carnaval de Dunkerque in Belgium
3) Spain Carnival (particularly the festivities in Tenerife and Cadiz)
4) The Germany Carnivals of Dusseldorf and Cologne, known as Fasching
5) Carnival of Trinidad & Tobago in the Caribbean
For more on these, take a look at our top 10 carnival destinations.
Mardi Gras Recipes and Traditions
Can’t get to Rio or Venice? Then celebrate Mardi Gras where you are! Try cooking a traditional Mardi Gras recipe such as pancakes, King Cake, or gumbo and then drink as many Mardi Gras cocktails as you can.Then once the merriment is flowing, try some of these Mardi Gras traditions…
- Throw eggs and flour at each other.
- Throw water balloons at each other.
- Sing satirical songs.
Not in the mood yet? Check out this amazing video of Carnival in Rio Brazil:
Make sure to heed the tips for making the most out of Mardi Gras! Plan ahead of time and make sure that you dress the part! Whether you just want a simple mask or full costume regalia, we have what you need at www.MardiGrasCostumes.com.